Here is the challenge…
For the next 30 days, practice the 7 strategies below and see how it positively shifts your perspective and increases your happiness. Here are a few strategies that will set you up for success:
- Start writing a journal– highlight your key successes throughout the day as well as what a successful day would look like. Once I started looking at success, I was drawn to success.
- Read Uplifting Information– I used to take the train every morning and read a book on my way to work. Occasionally a newspaper will be sitting around and I’ll always open up and read the sports section first. A friend once asked why I read the sports section first and I told him “when I wake up, I’d much rather read about mans accomplishments then mans failures.” So, read a book or listen to a cd that inspires you and positively affects your spirit.
- Write a Gratitude List– Gratitude in my attitude always helps me with my day. Sometimes the adversities in life are so acute, that they seem unbearable. To change this outlook, sit down and take time to write down the things in your life that you appreciate, make you happy and are grateful for. Whenever I write a gratitude list, my perspective usually changes for the positive.
- Smile and Laugh – its a biological fact that laughter boosts the immense system, releases endorphins and improves blood flow to the heart. So laugh and smile more and if you can try and make someone else laugh and smile as well!
- Help Someone– Take on the responsibility of being a mentor or a coach. Being of service to someone else often triggers the most rewarding and soul satisfying feelings inside. Helping others takes us outside of ourselves and our own motives.
- THANK YOU– Take time to visit, call or write someone and tell them thank you. I take time to thank mentors, family members and friends for the positive influence they have had on me. They appreciate it and you will feel good about doing it.
- Surround Yourself with Positive People– The people you spend the most time with are the ones that influence you the most!
You’ll be amazed at the results you get from practicing these principles for 30 straight days. “Change your perspective and you will change your reality”
The Devon Bandison Company
There is a big misconception held by companies and people that success leads to happiness. I often hear people say things like “Once I get the ________ (raise, promotion, house, car, etc), I’ll be happy. This way of thinking couldn’t be further from the truth and actually prevents people from living life to the fullest. But did you know that this thought process can actually impact your paycheck?
Science and research has proven that fulfillment and happiness are key ingredients to a successful career. Optimism fuels performance and achievement which, in turn allows us to advance monetarily. The studies show that our brain is hardwired to perform at their best when they are in a positive mindset. Its biological! Without getting all Mr. Goodbody on you, here are the facts:
- When we feel optimistic about our future, dopamine and serotonin are released in our brains which in turn heightens our sense of well-being. This allow us to more rapidly organize new information and become more skilled at problem solving.
- Conversely, when you focus on your problems it exhausts your energies and ability to work optimally. Low performing employees always lead to lower paychecks.
So it’s all about your inner paycheck. If you can create a life for yourself grounded in the things that make you happy it will lead to greater success.
Here are 4 keys to increase your inner paycheck:
- Keep Healthy– The most successful people understand the importance of keeping a healthy mind, body and spirit. Treat yourself to the gift of your own attention. Eat well, workout and meditate; they all increase optimal functioning.
- Stop Complaining- I knew a woman who always said she had issues. After we spoke a few times I asked her to slow down the pronunciation of the word ISSUE and break it down to IS U! Every time you complain, you reinforce a negative state of mind without offering a solution to the problem at hand. Instead, next time you feel frustrated, take a few deep breaths and try focusing on something positive.
- Journal- Take time every day to write down at least two positive experiences you had as well as gratitude. Include small moments of happiness and random acts of kindness. It is important you write it down so you can look back and remember all you have to be thankful for when life becomes difficult.
- Show Your Gratitude- Write a thank you card, pick up the phone, volunteer or send someone a book they would enjoy. One of the best ways to increase happiness is by reaching out and helping others.
Happiness is the key ingredient to increasing your “Inner Paycheck” which will lead to success in all areas of your life. If you allow yourself to feel positive, your brain will take care of the rest. You will see increases in productivity, resiliency and problem solving which in turn will lead to greater opportunities. If increasing your pay grade is your goal start with increasing your inner paycheck.
Share some of the ways you increase your inner paycheck.
Have you ever found yourself trying to perform an impossible juggling act between your work-life and home-life?
Ever spent your entire work day at the “top of your game,” only to be too tired to play games with your children when you get home?
Have you ever wondered how the person that seems to have it all is able to get work done, yet still have time for his family?
As a father of three wonderful children, I have also struggled with these same questions over the years. Continue reading “Work-Life Balance-7 Tips For The Productive Father”
Over the past few weeks, I have been fortunate enough to get invited as a VIP guest to a couple of TEDx events in New York. It was an honor as well as a humbling experience to be a part of these great events.
I also recently teamed up with a couple of friends and attended a TEDxAmherst event with the dual purpose of networking and enjoying the day with them. For all of you who are unfamiliar with TED or TEDx, you can see what it’s about on TED.com. A quick heads up, TED is not a big giant talking Teddy Bear or a person. It is actually a global set of conferences focused on spreading innovative “ideas worth spreading.” TED stands for Technology, Entertainment and Design. Continue reading “3 Beliefs All Successful People Have… Takeaways From Tedx”