Fatherhood is a huge responsibility with the greatest of rewards. As a father of three beautiful children and someone who works with fathers, I see the magic of fatherhood on a daily basis. I’ve come to realize that:
Fatherhood is leadership!
It is one of the highest forms of leadership. And just like leadership, fatherhood is not about a title or position. Fatherhood is an action and example of how one life can influence another.
Here are 5 of my favorite leadership quotes as it applies to fatherhood:
1. “Become the type of father that your children will follow voluntarily, even if you had no title or authority”
2. “Before you become a father, success is about growing yourself. When you become a father, success is all about growing others”
3. “A father will take his children where they want to go. A great father will take his children where they don’t necessarily want to go, but need to be”
4. “Great fathers are almost always great simplifiers who can cut through argument, debate, and doubt to offer a solution everybody can understand”
5. “Fathers inspire their children to dream more, learn more, do more and become more”
What does it mean to you?
There is a big misconception held by companies and people that success leads to happiness. I often hear people say things like “Once I get the ________ (raise, promotion, house, car, etc), I’ll be happy. This way of thinking couldn’t be further from the truth and actually prevents people from living life to the fullest. But did you know that this thought process can actually impact your paycheck?
Science and research has proven that fulfillment and happiness are key ingredients to a successful career. Optimism fuels performance and achievement which, in turn allows us to advance monetarily. The studies show that our brain is hardwired to perform at their best when they are in a positive mindset. Its biological! Without getting all Mr. Goodbody on you, here are the facts:
- When we feel optimistic about our future, dopamine and serotonin are released in our brains which in turn heightens our sense of well-being. This allow us to more rapidly organize new information and become more skilled at problem solving.
- Conversely, when you focus on your problems it exhausts your energies and ability to work optimally. Low performing employees always lead to lower paychecks.
So it’s all about your inner paycheck. If you can create a life for yourself grounded in the things that make you happy it will lead to greater success.
Here are 4 keys to increase your inner paycheck:
- Keep Healthy– The most successful people understand the importance of keeping a healthy mind, body and spirit. Treat yourself to the gift of your own attention. Eat well, workout and meditate; they all increase optimal functioning.
- Stop Complaining- I knew a woman who always said she had issues. After we spoke a few times I asked her to slow down the pronunciation of the word ISSUE and break it down to IS U! Every time you complain, you reinforce a negative state of mind without offering a solution to the problem at hand. Instead, next time you feel frustrated, take a few deep breaths and try focusing on something positive.
- Journal- Take time every day to write down at least two positive experiences you had as well as gratitude. Include small moments of happiness and random acts of kindness. It is important you write it down so you can look back and remember all you have to be thankful for when life becomes difficult.
- Show Your Gratitude- Write a thank you card, pick up the phone, volunteer or send someone a book they would enjoy. One of the best ways to increase happiness is by reaching out and helping others.
Happiness is the key ingredient to increasing your “Inner Paycheck” which will lead to success in all areas of your life. If you allow yourself to feel positive, your brain will take care of the rest. You will see increases in productivity, resiliency and problem solving which in turn will lead to greater opportunities. If increasing your pay grade is your goal start with increasing your inner paycheck.
Share some of the ways you increase your inner paycheck.