An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy.
“It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.” He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”
The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”
This is one of my favorite Cherokee Indian Legends that highlights the importance of self-awareness and positivity. Are you aware of the information you are filling your mind, body and spirit with on a daily basis? The things we read, watch, listen to, eat and speak all play a role in our happiness and general outlook on life. For example, have you ever “woke up on the wrong side of the bed” or stumped your toe in the morning? What happens next? We often tell ourselves that our day is doomed and more often than not this outlook becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. In all reality, you can restart your day whenever you choose but it’s up to you and how you change your perspective. Napoleon Hill once said “It is your responsibility to make sure that positive emotions constitute the dominating influence on your mind.” Try this…For the next 7 days, practice the 7 strategies below and see how it changes your perspective of the day. Here are a few strategies to feed the positive wolf within:
- Start Writing a Journal- highlight your key successes throughout the day as well as what a successful day would look like. Once I started looking at success, I was drawn to success.
- Read Uplifting Information- I take the train every morning and usually read a book on my way to work. Occasionally a newspaper will be sitting around and I’ll always open up and read the sports section first. A friend once asked why I read the sports section first and I told him “when I wake up, I’d rather read about mans accomplishments than mans failures.” So, read a book or listen to a cd that is positive and positively affects your spirit.
- Write a Gratitude List- Gratitude in my attitude always helps me with my day. Sometimes the adversities in life are so acute, that they seem unbearable. To change this outlook, sit down and take time to write the things in your life that you appreciate, make you happy and are grateful for. Whenever I write a gratitude list, my perspective usually changes for the positive.
- Smile and Laugh – it’s a biological fact that laughter boosts the immense system, releases endorphins and improves blood flow to the heart. So laugh and smile more and if you can try to make someone else laugh and smile as well!
- Help Someone- Take on the responsibility of being a mentor or a coach. Being of service to someone else often triggers the most rewarding and soul satisfying feelings inside. Helping others takes us outside of ourselves and our own motives.
- THANK YOU- Take time to visit, call or write someone and tell them thank you. I take time to thank mentors, family members and friends for the positive influence they have had on me. They appreciate it and you will feel good about doing it.
- Surround Yourself with Positive People- The people you spend the most time with are the ones that influence you the most!
Do you have a technique to share that feeds the positive wolf?