At the beginning of each year, we tend to have a long list of new goals and resolutions that we set out to accomplish. Most of us feel like the new year is the perfect time to make the changes in our life that will allow us to achieve more.
Would you be surprised to know that 25% of people will quit within the first month of setting a new year’s resolution?
The problem isn’t that people set goals, it’s how they structure it.
If you belong to a gym or fitness center you probably know what I mean. Right now, gyms are so full that it’s hard to get a treadmill or a 25-pound dumbbell.
When you come back to the gym in a few weeks your experience will be quite different. 80% of the New Years Resolution gym crowd drops off by the second week of February. They actually bank on this and sell memberships knowing that only 1 in 5 people will actually show up.
Why is that?
Because people are not structuring their goals in a way that is sustainable.
As you think about the first month of 2016, ask yourself these three questions:
1) Where am I with my goals?
2) Is my daily routine structured to optimize time for my priorities (goals)?
3) Do I find myself losing momentum?
Let’s make sure that you continue to grow and prosper throughout the year.
Here are three ways to ensure you achieve more this year:
1) Choose your number wisely– The optimal number of goals to set for any given year is somewhere between 6-9. I’ve found this to be the range where most of my clients flourish.
2) Goal Stacking- Instead of trying to tackle all of your goals at once try starting with one goal at a time. In January, you may add going to the gym, and in February a financial goal and so on. This allows for you give each goal the focus and commitment necessary for sustainable success.
3) Accountability- find an accountability partner that will help you get started and keep you on track when you hit roadblocks. Often times, they are the spark that keeps you going through the rough patches. Accountability partners can be a paid coach, a childhood friend or someone you meet along the way.
You have everything it takes to make all of your goals become a reality this year. If you’ve found yourself losing steam lately, apply these three tools to give you the boost that you need.
I look forward to hearing about your continued success and breakthroughs in 2016!