“If you want something new, you have to stop doing something old” ~Peter Drucker
Each month we will focus on a different leadership skill that you can use to create freedom, abundance, and prosperity in your life.Our first Masterclass begins tonight and the program has ongoing enrollment.
Click here to learn about membership:
Masterminds are used by mostly all of the most successful and prosperous people in the world.
- How does a mastermind work? A group of smart people come together to tackle challenges, share resources and create prosperity in your life. They lean on each other, give advice, share connections and do business with each other when appropriate. If you are lucky enough to get invited to one, you will most likely see a marked change in yourself and your business
Masterminds are incredible and can do wonders for your personal and professional success. Growing in a group is not only more effective, it’s more fun!
If that sounds interesting to you, keep reading.
In this Mastermind Group, you WILL achieve BIG RESULTS in less time with the support of other great leaders.
Our focus is creating the freedom you want in your life and career. Imagine having instant access to me and other people who can help make your dream a reality.
*The First Live Webinar will be on March 29th*
What’s In It For YOU?
- Monthly Master Class
- POWER Modules
- E-motivators, audios, and/or videos
- Weekly goal setting/accountability debrief tool
- Monthly Modules and Activities
- Peer accountability partners
- Access to our Secret Facebook Group
- Part of a growing community of inspiring leaders
- Customized Personal Development Plan
You also get this…
Here’s a couple of additional benefits you receive from being part of a Mastermind Group. The expertise you want at your fingertips.
- Looking to create financial freedom- we have someone who can help you
- Looking to build a side hustle- we have someone who can show you how
- Need a website built? We have someone in our community.
- Want to be a professional speaker? We have someone in our community.
- Looking to change careers? We have someone in our community.
- Want to write a book? We have someone in our community.
- Need help to start that business? We have someone in our community.
If that’s not enough, there’s more…
In addition, I will be hosting a monthly Master Class and a Group Coaching Call that digs deeper into some of the principles and mindsets that create success (Accountability, Habits, Routines, Owner/Victim, Creating a Team, etc).
Invest in your future today?
We have three different levels of membership (Silver, Gold, Platinum).
Our silver membership package costs less than a cup of coffee a day! Really? YES!!!
Don’t put your dreams on hold any longer, now is your time! Give yourself the gift of your own attention and invest in yourself
Learn More: register today!
Looking forward to having you in this amazing community!
At the beginning of each year, we tend to have a long list of new goals and resolutions that we set out to accomplish. Most of us feel like the new year is the perfect time to make the changes in our life that will allow us to achieve more.
Would you be surprised to know that 25% of people will quit within the first month of setting a new year’s resolution?
The problem isn’t that people set goals, it’s how they structure it.
If you belong to a gym or fitness center you probably know what I mean. Right now, gyms are so full that it’s hard to get a treadmill or a 25-pound dumbbell.
When you come back to the gym in a few weeks your experience will be quite different. 80% of the New Years Resolution gym crowd drops off by the second week of February. They actually bank on this and sell memberships knowing that only 1 in 5 people will actually show up.
Why is that?
Because people are not structuring their goals in a way that is sustainable.
As you think about the first month of 2016, ask yourself these three questions:
1) Where am I with my goals?
2) Is my daily routine structured to optimize time for my priorities (goals)?
3) Do I find myself losing momentum?
Let’s make sure that you continue to grow and prosper throughout the year.
Here are three ways to ensure you achieve more this year:
1) Choose your number wisely– The optimal number of goals to set for any given year is somewhere between 6-9. I’ve found this to be the range where most of my clients flourish.
2) Goal Stacking- Instead of trying to tackle all of your goals at once try starting with one goal at a time. In January, you may add going to the gym, and in February a financial goal and so on. This allows for you give each goal the focus and commitment necessary for sustainable success.
3) Accountability- find an accountability partner that will help you get started and keep you on track when you hit roadblocks. Often times, they are the spark that keeps you going through the rough patches. Accountability partners can be a paid coach, a childhood friend or someone you meet along the way.
You have everything it takes to make all of your goals become a reality this year. If you’ve found yourself losing steam lately, apply these three tools to give you the boost that you need.
I look forward to hearing about your continued success and breakthroughs in 2016!
Lets Stop For A Minute! Yes Stop….
Take a deep breath, check in with yourself and become present.
Ok, are you here?
Now check in and see where you are on your journey called life! With almost half of 2015 behind us, now is a great opportunity to become aware of where you are in the here and now.
Have you reached the goals, dreams, and milestones that you had set for yourself? Are you satisfied, fulfilled and passionate with your life? Is what you are about to do today what you really want to do?
Are you living your default future?
What is a default future you ask?
Your default future is that life you “settled” into. The one that has subtly placed your dreams to the side because “life showed up.” The vision of the life you really wanted for yourself that has been placed on a waiting list. It is that relationship, job, or situation that has now gone on auto pilot. Many people I work with begin to realize they have settled into their default future without even knowing when it happened.
Some have promised to go back to school after a year, and it’s 10 years later. Others have said they wanted to start their own business but continue to show up to a job they hate. Some wanted to have a healthier relationship with their body but never made it to the gym. You get the point.
We all have had opportunities in our life to either settle or move forward towards our ideal life.
Where are you?
The number one cause for this life on auto pilot is….Failure to leave your comfort zone
Yes, the dreaded comfort zone. Trust me when I tell you that your comfort zone is NOT your friend. Your comfort zone leads you to a one way ticket to your default future.
Comfort zones foster an attitude of learned helplessness, making progress harder. Learning, creating, and growing happen only when you step outside and challenge yourself.
“Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone”
Here are 3 Ways To Move Out Of Your Comfort Zone:
Lean In- Ever been working out at the gym and it hurts? Then you make a decision to lean in and continue working out despite the pain. What happens? The result is that you become fit, stronger and generally feel good about yourself. The discomfort was worth it. The same applies to your life. Lean in to discomfort. Choose to have that difficult conversation you’ve been putting off. Choose to apply for those jobs that you think you”ll never get. Choose to book put a date on the calendar and book the flight to your dream destination. Choose to write that book you’ve been putting off.
Become Present and Expand- Awareness can bring about change. When you become aware of your tendency to default to your comfort zone, shift your mindset to expansion. Ask yourself, what can I do that will broaden my horizons? Is it a 30-day challenge? Is it a conference you wanted to sign up for that will deepen your knowledge base? Is it an email to the author of the book you really connected with? These are all ways to expand.
Accountability- When leaving your comfort zone it’s important that your track your progress to ensure that you’re not subtly slipping back into old habits. Support yourself by creating an accountability group with friends. This can include gym workout buddies, a book club or a master mind.
Looking for deeper transformation? Consider hiring a coach or connecting with a mentor.
As you begin to move out of your comfort zone you will see opportunities that you thought were out of reach. This will build your confidence and allow you to take healthy risks. I’ve seen miracles happen with the clients I’m fortunate enough to work with as a result of pushing past their comfort zone. Transformation in its truest sense. Leaving your comfort zone will create a life of increased fulfillment, optimism and confidence.
Make the decision today to get out of your comfort zone and live your ideal life, instead of your default future. Life is truly what you make it!
“All I ever wanted to do was save my kid…but the ‘my’ kept getting larger and larger”
Over the past few days, I’ve been In Savannah, Georgia where I was asked to speak at the National Youth-At-Risk Conference. One of the perks of the trip was sharing some time with fellow speaker Geoffrey Canada, founder of the Harlem Children’s Zone.
In our conversation we immediately connected as he learned of my work developing programs throughout the years for children, fathers and families in NYC.
The conversation shifted to this question…What type of legacy are you living today?
LEGACIES ARE CREATED BY LEADERS!
Ask yourself. What is your legacy right now?
If it was all over today, would you be proud of your legacy?
What would your kids, wife, community, colleagues, friends and families say your legacy is?
And most importantly, what would you say it is?
It starts with your WHY!
My early work with clients always starts with finding out what makes them come alive.
What are you passionate about? What is your WHY?
When you start with your WHY you create your own personal mission statement. This establishes a value system and ideal customer.
The next step is to create a living legacy so you can show up as the best version of yourself, wherever you are. Be the leader you want to become at home, at work and in the community!
Here are 5 Steps to creating a Legacy of Leadership:
- Vision- Know what matters. You can’t create a legacy and hand something down by accident (if so, it is usually a negative one). Until you have a clear vision of what you want your legacy to be, it will be tough to built it.
- Create Winning Habits- Great leaders have “non-negotiables” that they practice on a daily basis. Habits that enhance and support their value system. Drive your personal leadership vision into your life, business, and family by creating habits that support what’s most important.
- Connection- All great leaders influence lives through connection. This means spending quality time developing relationships at home, at work, in the community, and with yourself.
- Leave Your Comfort Zone– Research shows that in order to maximize performance we need a state of relative anxiety—a space where our stress levels are slightly higher than normal. This space is called “Optimal Anxiety,” and it’s just outside our comfort zone. Optimal anxiety is that place where your mental productivity and performance reach their peak
- Bring Value- Most successful people I know don’t think about being successful at all. They think about being of value. They know that when you bring value to a business, relationship, and community you enhance abundance and create reciprocity. (The more you give, the more you receive). The key is to convert value into behaviors that you can measure and manage. Values in action are the key to creating a legacy of leadership.
“Strive not be be a success, but rather to be of value”
“Write It On Your Heart That Every Day Is The Best Day In The Year”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Today is the last day of 2014 and I couldn’t be more excited. Not because I’m looking forward to the New Years festivities tonight. I’m excited because I’m determined to make today the best day of 2014.
The end of the year inventory is already complete. I’ve written down the goals and dreams I will experience in 2015. These dreams are “goals with deadlines” to ensure that I’m tracking my success. The house has been cleaned, email emptied, clothes and toys organized and ready to be donated. This work has prepared me well for the New Year. But wait a minute 2015 is not here yet. We still have 18 hours left in 2014, so I’m determined to make today the best day of the year.
If you want to make today the best day of 2014, you can do so with two words…….. HERE AND NOW!
Some people get energized by where they are going. You can see them light up when they share their vision and goals. And some people get excited by how far they’ve come. Their story of overcoming hardships gives them confidence and courage. Both are good forms of motivation. However, I think the greatest feeling and source of motivation in the world is loving and appreciating where you are right, Here and Now. Not wishing you’re somewhere you’re not, but fully accepting where you are. In our presence—not the future or the past—is the gift of life. The best is not yet to come—it’s here.
Go out today determined to have the best day of the year. Don’t loose an entire day waiting for tomorrow. Start with gratitude and navigate the day in the HERE AND NOW.
Let’s celebrate Here and Now!
“Here And Now Is Where It Happens”
Here is the challenge…
For the next 30 days, practice the 7 strategies below and see how it positively shifts your perspective and increases your happiness. Here are a few strategies that will set you up for success:
- Start writing a journal– highlight your key successes throughout the day as well as what a successful day would look like. Once I started looking at success, I was drawn to success.
- Read Uplifting Information– I used to take the train every morning and read a book on my way to work. Occasionally a newspaper will be sitting around and I’ll always open up and read the sports section first. A friend once asked why I read the sports section first and I told him “when I wake up, I’d much rather read about mans accomplishments then mans failures.” So, read a book or listen to a cd that inspires you and positively affects your spirit.
- Write a Gratitude List– Gratitude in my attitude always helps me with my day. Sometimes the adversities in life are so acute, that they seem unbearable. To change this outlook, sit down and take time to write down the things in your life that you appreciate, make you happy and are grateful for. Whenever I write a gratitude list, my perspective usually changes for the positive.
- Smile and Laugh – its a biological fact that laughter boosts the immense system, releases endorphins and improves blood flow to the heart. So laugh and smile more and if you can try and make someone else laugh and smile as well!
- Help Someone– Take on the responsibility of being a mentor or a coach. Being of service to someone else often triggers the most rewarding and soul satisfying feelings inside. Helping others takes us outside of ourselves and our own motives.
- THANK YOU– Take time to visit, call or write someone and tell them thank you. I take time to thank mentors, family members and friends for the positive influence they have had on me. They appreciate it and you will feel good about doing it.
- Surround Yourself with Positive People– The people you spend the most time with are the ones that influence you the most!
You’ll be amazed at the results you get from practicing these principles for 30 straight days. “Change your perspective and you will change your reality”
The Devon Bandison Company
There is a big misconception held by companies and people that success leads to happiness. I often hear people say things like “Once I get the ________ (raise, promotion, house, car, etc), I’ll be happy. This way of thinking couldn’t be further from the truth and actually prevents people from living life to the fullest. But did you know that this thought process can actually impact your paycheck?
Science and research has proven that fulfillment and happiness are key ingredients to a successful career. Optimism fuels performance and achievement which, in turn allows us to advance monetarily. The studies show that our brain is hardwired to perform at their best when they are in a positive mindset. Its biological! Without getting all Mr. Goodbody on you, here are the facts:
- When we feel optimistic about our future, dopamine and serotonin are released in our brains which in turn heightens our sense of well-being. This allow us to more rapidly organize new information and become more skilled at problem solving.
- Conversely, when you focus on your problems it exhausts your energies and ability to work optimally. Low performing employees always lead to lower paychecks.
So it’s all about your inner paycheck. If you can create a life for yourself grounded in the things that make you happy it will lead to greater success.
Here are 4 keys to increase your inner paycheck:
- Keep Healthy– The most successful people understand the importance of keeping a healthy mind, body and spirit. Treat yourself to the gift of your own attention. Eat well, workout and meditate; they all increase optimal functioning.
- Stop Complaining- I knew a woman who always said she had issues. After we spoke a few times I asked her to slow down the pronunciation of the word ISSUE and break it down to IS U! Every time you complain, you reinforce a negative state of mind without offering a solution to the problem at hand. Instead, next time you feel frustrated, take a few deep breaths and try focusing on something positive.
- Journal- Take time every day to write down at least two positive experiences you had as well as gratitude. Include small moments of happiness and random acts of kindness. It is important you write it down so you can look back and remember all you have to be thankful for when life becomes difficult.
- Show Your Gratitude- Write a thank you card, pick up the phone, volunteer or send someone a book they would enjoy. One of the best ways to increase happiness is by reaching out and helping others.
Happiness is the key ingredient to increasing your “Inner Paycheck” which will lead to success in all areas of your life. If you allow yourself to feel positive, your brain will take care of the rest. You will see increases in productivity, resiliency and problem solving which in turn will lead to greater opportunities. If increasing your pay grade is your goal start with increasing your inner paycheck.
Share some of the ways you increase your inner paycheck.
Check out the interview I did on Wu Tang Radio for The H2o Show. Had a great time with Host Big Perm and DJ 360 discussing Motivation, Success, Leadership and Hip Hop.
The interview is broken down in two 15 minute segments with some good music in between. The intro goes until minute 4:34. Then the interview continues from minute 23:45-38th minute and returns from minute 53:47 until the end. Hear me talk about:
Motivation Minute- 29:20
Connection/Gift of the Present- Minute 33:00
Learning From a Hip Hop Legend- Minute 33:40
Goal Setting- Minute 55:00
Success Minute- 56:00
Developing a System like NBA Champion Spurs- 58:00
Whether you are an Entrepreneur, CEO, Manager or line staff we all run into the issue of feeling like we don’t have “enough time.”
Not enough time to complete our work, spend time with our children or take part in the things we love.
I often work with people who tell me that there is not enough time in the day to complete the tasks at their jobs, home or both. This lack of perceived productivity will begin to cause anxiety and negatively affect the quality of our day. When you begin to feel like your not making any progress in your professional or personal life, it can be debilitating.
I’ve learned that the key to preventing this from happening is by STOPPING! Yes, stopping! Continue reading “STOP! It Can Be The Most Productive Thing You Do”
It’s not easy asking for help, so I’ve learned not to wait until someone asks, help anyway.
I’ve had experiences with the people I mentor and coach who always ask how I’m so positive and willing to help people. My answer is usually “because I owe.” I owe for the people who took the time and energy with me to help get me to where I am.
I owe for those who weren’t given the opportunities that I was through basketball and other means. I owe because if I want to see the change in the world, I must be a living example of that change. But what they don’t realize is that by giving, I get so much in return. People want to be a part of something they believe in, and the network/community that has developed as a result of helping others has been priceless. I can reach out to people all over the world for help when I need it which to me signifies true wealth and abundance. Continue reading “5 Reasons Why Helping Others Is Your Greatest Wealth”